More than two months ago I have introduced my VMware VSAN PowerCLi module
Today we will add one more function Get-VSANCapability to the module.
- Each vSphere/VSAN release brings more and more features and capabilities to VSAN Clusters. For example, Stretched Clusters were introduced in VSAN 6.2, iSCSI Targets in 6.5 and Verbose mode for Performance Services, Data At Rest Encryption, Enhanced resync and many others in 6.6.
There are two levels for these capabilities, VCenter and Cluster/Host level. The
Get-VSANCapabilitygives you the both. Just connect to a VC and run the function.
Connect-VIServer $VC -wa SilentlyContinue Get-Cluster | Get-VSANCapability
- You can pipeline one or more Clusters to the function and these Clusters must not be VSAN enabled.
Get-Cluster Test | Get-VSANCapability Get-Cluster Test, Prod | Get-VSANCapability Get-Datacenter North | Get-Cluster Prod* | Get-VSANCapability
Get-VSANCapability returns objects with three properties
|Type||VC type (
|Capability||Capability full name|
-Capabilityparameter helps you to filter out only capability/capabilities you are interested.
Get-Cluster | Get-VSANCapability –Capability allflash Get-Cluster | Get-VSANCapability –Capability allflash, encryption
- Let say you want to know is your Infrastructure ready for Stretched Clusters with All-Flash arrays and Datastore level encryption. Voila.
Get-Cluster | Get-VSANCapability –Capability allflash, encryption, stretchedcluster
-Capabilityparameter is positional and can be omitted.
Get-Cluster | Get-VSANCapability allflash, encryption, stretchedcluster
- There is no need to memorize the capabilities. The Intellisense (
TABcompletion) is supported.
- There are three requirements.
PowerCLi 6.5.1 and VCenter 6.0U2 or above. The both can be validated by Get-Version.
Connect-VIServer $VC -wa SilentlyContinue Get-Version –VCenter
- To get your VSAN/vSphere versions
Get-Cluster | Get-VSANVersion Get-VMHost | Get-Version
- One more requirement is PowerShell 4.0 or above. I hope you have long 5.x .
$PSVersionTable.PSVersion.Major –ge 4 True
Question to the community
- There are capabilities that I don’t understand what does it mean:
dataefficiencyand capability named
If you have any ideas, please write out to the comments. Any help is welcome.
- For more details about the function, please take a look at the content based help and examples.
Get-Help Get-VSANCapability -Full Get-Help Get-VSANCapability -Examples Get-Help Get-VSANCapability -Parameter Capability
- New functions will not take long to wait. All upcoming VSAN related articles will arrive here. Bookmark the link and stay tuned.